Types of immigration

In this section you will find information on immigration to and residence/settlement in Austria. The target groups are diverse: EU- and EEA- citizens, third-country nationals as well as their family members.

  • The chapter on mobility within the EU addresses EU- and EEA-citizens including their families and provides information on possibilities for obtaining a residence permit in Austria.
  • In the chapter on permanent immigration you can learn all about the Red-White-Red Card. According to the regulations of this flexible immigration scheme, individuals planning to live and work in Austria can apply for a Red-White-Red Card if they meet certain criteria. These criteria are translated into a points system. A points calculator helps you determine whether you meet the required criteria. Here you will also find information about settlement permits for researchers, artists and special cases of dependent gainful employment as well as family reunification.
  • In the chapter on temporary residence you will find information on residence permits for intra-corporate transferees (“ICT”), third-country nationals holding a residence permit intra-corporate transferee from another Member State (“mobile ICT”) hired out workers, certain cases of dependent gainful employment (Au Pair), self-employed persons, researcher-mobility, pupils, students, social service workers and volunteers.
  • The chapter on fixed-term employment addresses individuals who are planning to work in Austria for a fixed period of time, as well as undertakings hiring out or posting workers to Austria.

Source: https://www.migration.gv.at/en/types-of-immigration/