Confirmation of admission as a regular or non-degree student at a

  • University
  • University of Applied Sciences
  • Accredited Private University
  • Public or Private Teacher Training College or
  • after completing a regular degree to complete a professional training that is legally required for the practice of the profession (e.g. court year, aspirant year)

Confirmation of admission as non-degree students as part of a university course at a

  • University
  • University of Applied Sciences
  • Private University or
  • Pedagogical University

The course has to 

  • comprise at least 40 ECTS and must not serve exclusively to teach a language or
  • prepare for the supplementary examination prescribed in the admission decision (pre-study course) or
  • after completion of an extraordinary / non-degree university course for further education to establish the equivalence of the foreign degree.

After completing the pre-study course, only individual courses can be attended for a semester as an exception if an entrance exam can only be taken in the following semester.


In order for the student residence permit to be issued, proof of academic success in the previous academic year must be provided when extending it. Students must therefore dedicate themselves seriously to their studies.

 A declaration of liability can be submitted.


Any gainful employment shall be governed by the provisions of the Act Governing the Employment of Foreign Nationals. Such employment must not interfere with the studies, for that matter.

 Labour market access of students

If you are a student with citizenship from a third country, you are subject to the Act Governing the Employment of Foreign Nationals and require an employment permit (Beschäftigungsbewilligung). This also applies to marginal employment.

 As a student you can receive an employment permit for employment of up to 20 hours a week without a labour market test. Companies have to apply for this employment permit at the Public Employment Service (Arbeitsmarktservice – AMS). Another provision for an employment permit is that the primary purpose of stay is not jeopardised.


After having successfully completed a programme of studies in Austria, you can switch from the residence permit “Students” to the Red-White-Red Card. Upon graduation you can file for a one-time renewal of your residence permit for a period of twelve months for your job search or starting a business in Austria.


Graduates of Austrian universities and universities of applied sciences

Graduates from third countries

Residence Permit to search for employment or start a business

If you are a third-country national who has pursued and successfully completed his/her studies or his/her compulsory training after studies you may renew your residence permit “Students” for a period of twelve months for the purpose of searching for employment, or starting a business provided that you fulfil the general requirements under Austrian settlement and residence law (such as sufficient means of subsistence, health insurance coverage etc.)

Red-White-Red Card for graduates

If, within these twelve months, you receive an employment offer from a specified employer (work contract) which matches your level of qualification, you can apply for a Red-White-Red Card without a labour market test, provided that you also fulfil the following requirements:

  • you get paid the locally customary gross minimum salary which comparable Austrian graduates (junior employees) would receive and
  • you fulfil the general requirements under Austrian settlement and residence law (health insurance coverage).


For graduates, there is no points system. The Red-White-Red Card allows you to settle temporarily in Austria and to work for the employer specified in your application. You can obtain a Red-White-Red Card if you have graduated from an Austrian university, university of applied sciences or an accredited private university. You have to prove that you have successfully completed a diploma programme at least from the second stage of studies, a bachelor’s programme, a master’s programme or a doctoral programme.

Red-White-Red Card plus for graduates

You may apply for a Red-White-Red Card plus with unlimited labour market access if you were employed in accordance with the eligibility criteria for at least 21 months during the preceding 24 months.

You can find more information on the Red-White-Red Card plus here.

Required documents for a Red-White-Red Card

  • Valid travel document (e.g. passport)
  • Photograph not older than half a year (size: 45×35 mm)
  • Proof of health insurance cover covering all risks (compulsory insurance or equivalent insurance policy)
  • If applicants refer to the services or the ability of third parties to perform, proof of this must be submitted in each case.
  • Proof of successful completion of studies or corresponding training

If the authority so requires, other documents may also have to be produced.


It is permissible to make a declaration of liability for a residence permit “Students”.

In order to switch to a “Red-White-Red Card”, the legal requirements must be met.